INSTRUCTORS NOTICE BOARD
March 17h. 2021
What are some of the key elements of Mughal Architecture?
2. How did the Mughal rulers make clear political statements through “Power architecture?
3. What is the importance of Arabesque, geometry and calligraphy in Islamic art and architecture?
4. What is the purpose of symmetry, rhythm and balance in Islamic architecture and why is it emphasized and is fundamental to the harmonious design and structure of Islamic architecture?
March 10th. 2021
1. What is the relationship between the sacred and sensuous in Hindu art in India?
2. How does the concept of “Advaita/nondual” help in understanding the Sacred and the Sensual in Hindu art?
3. What is the Symbolism and purpose of a Hindu Temple?
March 3rd. 2021
1. What are the four goals of life according to Hinduism and how is it reflected in the Hindu artistic production?
2. Can You recognize and differentiate some of the Hindu gods and goddesses?
3. Hinduism is considered polytheistic but it has also affirmed the oneness/Advaita of divine. How do you explain this aspect of Hindu religion and culture as reflected in the production of art? Please bring an art piece to support your response class discussion.
4. Please Watch this video on Carl Sagan and the cosmic theory.
February 24th, 2021
1. What is meant by aniconic art?
2. What are some of the “symbols” used to convey the presence of Buddha?
3. Why was it difficult to represent Buddha in human/anthropomorphic form?
4. What monuments were associated with early Buddhists practice.
5. Why was the
aniconic/symbolic representation of Buddha's presence abandoned in favor of
February 17th, 2021
Please complete the readings due for Feb. 10th and bring your responses to the Questions for class discussion.
January 27th. 2021
Navigate the website, make yourself
familiar with the contents
Read the assigned readings on line for the day, and come to class with lots of questions.
Please check the website, Go to Art and Culture of
read about India the land and its people and come prepared to discuss your